Preventing Falls in the Snow
Winter has officially come to Toronto with lots of snow today and cold temperatures that look like they are here to stay to welcome Christmas. Falls are the most common cause of injury for older adults but in many cases they are preventable.
I created a short video to remind you of some tips to stay safe while walking on the snow and ice.
- Keep walkways clear of snow and ice
- Wear boats with lots of grip or if you do lots of winter walking consider grips such as Yaktrak’s.
- Walk like a penguin on ice and snow using small shuffle steps
- Keep your hands out of your pockets to brace yourself in case you fall
- Keep moving- the more sedentary you are the weaker your muscles get and the increased chance that you have for a fall
- Strength train to keep your leg muscles strong and stable. Here is a link to a free ebook filled with exercise programs. http://www.vintagefitness.ca/download-free-ebook.aspx
- Balance train. Check out the vintage fitness balance training blog series for some ideas
Please see our previous blog on balance exercises to prevent falls
What Should I do now?
Vintage Fitness is an in-home personal training company in Toronto, Canada. We specialize in energizing the lives of people over 50 with exercise.
- Abdominal / Waist Exercises
- Aches and Pains
- Aging Well
- Back exercises
- Brain Health
- Elastic Band Exercises
- Exercise Programs
- Fitness Goals
- Flexibility Exercises
- Guest blog
- Heart Health
- Incontinence Exercises
- Leg Exercises
- Neck Exercises
- Online Training
- Personal Training
- Strength exercises
- Success Stories
- Weight Loss
- Women’s Health