At home exercises to prevent falls
Winter storm weather is upon us here in Toronto which can make the roads slippery and dangerous. This blog is the second in a series of fall prevention exercises that you can do at home with no equipment. A big thank you to Vintage Fitness trainers Karel Van Dam and Jen Couto for providing the exercises.
- Rock the boat. This weight shift exercise from one leg to the other simulates a gust of wind knocking you off balance
- Push from behind. Take an exaggerated step forward and return to start pushing off the front heel
- Squat with a hold: Have a friend gently push on your shoulders while you are in a squat to ensure that you are using your core and challenging your stabilizing muscles.
- Change your stance to a split stance to made it harder
- Go lower in your split stance to make it even harder
The key to balance training is to challenge your balance in a safe environment, build the strength in your legs, ankles and feet and don’t relay solely on your visual balance. Next week I will go through some balance exercises for situations where you can’t easily see such as carrying a box or laundry basket or in snowy weather.
If you would like a free balance consultation with a 50+ fitness expert call Erin 416-951-7978 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Vintage Fitness is an in home personal training company in Toronto, Canada. We specialize in energizing the lives of people over 50 with exercise.
- Abdominal / Waist Exercises
- Aches and Pains
- Aging Well
- Back exercises
- Brain Health
- Elastic Band Exercises
- Exercise Programs
- Fitness Goals
- Flexibility Exercises
- Guest blog
- Heart Health
- Incontinence Exercises
- Leg Exercises
- Neck Exercises
- Online Training
- Personal Training
- Strength exercises
- Weight Loss
- Women’s Health